fbpx

Blues Guitar Institute

Blues Rhythm Guitar: Uptown

Starting out, aspiring blues guitarists focus so much effort on learning solos and licks and far too often pay little attention to blues rhythm guitar playing. That’s  unfortunate because while the solo may be the high point of a song to guitarists, lead work usually only accounts for about 20% of a song. So what’s a guitarist to do for the other 80%?

Play Rhythm!

Blues Rhythm Guitar

Rhythm plays an important part in nearly every different style of music on the planet. But, I think that the very essence of the blues is locked in the rhythm patterns and styles that have been handed down over the generations.

From the acoustic Delta sound to the lively electric Texas scene, the blues is played to make people move. And it’s the rhythm that moves feet.

From a guitarist’s perspective, being able to “play in the pocket” or “lock in” or “hit the groove” is what it’s all about. Remember that most of your time playing the blues will be spent playing rhythm parts, so those parts better be in time and make people move.

One of my favorite rhythm patterns that does just that is something called by Uptown Groove by Berklee Online instructor Mike Williams.

The Uptown Groove

blues-rhythm-guitar-uptown
Uptown

PDF version of the TAB available here.

When you play this piece, or any blues rhythm guitar piece, really focus on locking in with the groove. If you get really good at doing this to the Plain-Jane clicks or beeps of a metronome, you’ll have no problem laying down a sweet rhythm part with a solid drummer and bass player.

When you are ready, there are two ways I can help you:

Back Porch Blues Course:  A proven system to fingerpicking the blues.  This step-by-step course guides you through building fundamental fingerpicking skills.  Plus, you’ll learn three levels of a delta blues style performance study to put your new skills into action.

Become a myBGI Member: Membership comes with access to Back Porch Blues plus over 70 step-by-step courses.  Get proven results with one of myBGI’s structured Roadmaps.

Subscribe to Tuesday Blues​

Join 14,000 Tuesday Blues subscribers for weekly lessons.  You’ll get strategies, tips and tutorials to help you play better blues guitar.

    Hey, Before You Go...

    GRAB THE FREE
    FRETBOARD TOOLKIT

    Unlock the fretboard so you can play great blues guitar.